Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Make Me Laugh! (Melissa McCarthy and Miranda Hart!)


Make me laugh! Go on, I dare you!

Hey! Just because I love my non-fiction books and historical documentaries, doesn't mean I don't love to laugh!  Do you know that I love to watch comedies?  Oh my yes, I adore them! Not just any old thing, I am very particular.   Not only does it have to tickle my funny bone but it has to be something that is not offensive to me . I am not THAT fond of vulgar language and such.  I know it is very popular for every other word to be the "F" word but I still find it jarring. (I am old, after all!)  What is the point of me telling you this? I am going to tell you about a film that I saw on TV this past weekend...

As I told you in my last post, I was not feeling well at all, so it was nice to watch a movie on TV that really made me laugh, one that I can highly recommend.   My husband enjoyed it also, he thought it had a great supporting cast with Jude Law and Jason Statham.


                            
SPY!


You might have already seen this film, it is from 2015, after all!
If so, you might wonder why I didn't notice any bad language...the film was edited for TV and I must admit, I really wonder if I would have liked it as much had it not been edited.  Melissa McCarthy is a great actress and just so very funny!  Anybody remember my post about the English comedian and actress, Miranda Hart? She is in this film also! She and Melissa McCarthy were so good together, I hope they will do a sequel to this film.  The director, Paul Feig, was the same one who re-did the Ghostbusters movie with female leads in 2016.  If you remember, I think I told you how much it surprised me to love that movie.  Melissa McCarthy was in that one too, he must like her as much as I do!  So...I love comedies and I must look out for any other films that Paul Feig will direct, since I obviously like his work.

Much of the filming for "Spy" was done in Budapest! If you ever want to know the details of any film, I hope you know to look at the IMDb, the Internet Movie Data Base...I look things up constantly about films and TV shows.   For this movie, you can find the info just here.


On my Dad's calendar, there is a quote by Booker T. Washington, "If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else".  Oh dear, that might be a paraphrase...but you get the idea, right?  I love it and agree whole heartedly!  (Wait...I must have a link to Booker T., you may read more about him just here.  If you don't know him, you should!) 



                                            Cardinal (male) in the snow...it was still snowing and not daylight yet but Richard got this shot for me.  This red bird against snow is one of the most UPLIFTING sights to ever see!

We had SNOW today here in the Atlanta area and it is very cold and will not get above freezing all day. Schools and many businesses are closed.   By this weekend, it is expected to be 60 degrees!  Might as well laugh, the world is crazy!









34 comments:

  1. No snow for us, but baby it's cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you in Savannah! Just saw on the news that on Wednesday (when I wrote this post) the low was 14 degrees in Atlanta but today (Saturday the 20th) the high was 64!
      Crazy! :-)

      Delete
  2. "I know it is very popular for every other word to be the "F" word but I still find it jarring" -- oh, oh, Kay, I was going to warn you not to read my post today on subversive cross-stitch then, but too late! You've already done so and left a comment -- d'oh!

    We are huge Melissa McCarthy fans and really enjoyed "Spy," which we saw in the theatres. But I can't recall if there was a lot of bad language in it or not -- guess I'm just to enured to hearing it to even notice any more, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You know you can't shock me with anything, Debra! And your post was FUNNY because the word was used in an unusual manner and I can't imagine anyone reading it would be offended. (Besides, if they read your blog, they know your language used!)
      I SHOULD be inured to any language now, after all the young people that I work with!

      Delete
  3. Certainly the weather is crazy. The swamps got snow again, and lots of places are closed here, too.

    It's always best to laugh if you can find anythiing to laugh about. Generally there is something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry all alone!

      Delete
  4. Wow, red bird in the snow photo. I took note of Spy and the Ghostbusters with women in the lead roles, I do like to laugh and will look for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra! I will tell Richard that you like his cardinal photo! It is a beautiful, beautiful bird.
      Let me know if you like these comedies! I would be so tickled if you love them too.

      Delete
  5. I love the beautiful bird but i am a wet blanket - can't stand Melissa or her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wet blanket? No, never! She is just not your cup of tea, move on to something that you enjoy. HERE is a suggestion for you, I really need to do a post about this film, I watched it recently and I LOVED it. It was on the TCM channel- "I'll See You In My Dreams". It starred Doris Day and Danny Thomas and was based on the life of...oh heck, I will have to do a post! Look out for it!
      And hey! Give Melissa a chance, why don't you, you could watch her on one of the channels where she is edited, I think I saw the film on FXM. She has a sweetness about her, a type of vulnerability that I can relate to...in spite of her potty mouth sometimes! (And I would like to point out, she is reading from a script!)

      Delete
  6. You know I love Miranda Hart! The SPY movie sounds like something that makes me laugh, too.
    Aaaw, poor little cardinal... I doubt he finds the snow so uplifting, no matter how nice it looks as a white backdrop to his beautiful red feathers.
    By the way, I often look up info about films on wikipedia - sometimes I read the plot on my tablet while watching the film and then spoil it for myself because I already know what is going to happen! Isn't that daft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out the info on the IMDB website, it is really the BEST! They even have a part at the end that will say: SPOILERS AHEAD, so you need to read there!
      And the cardinal? He was very happy, we had water AND seeds out for him...both appreciated in the cold and snow!
      Let me know if you see the SPY movie, Richard and I thought it was hilarious.

      Delete
  7. We had snow here in West Central Georgia! So pretty, but I stayed inside except to take my puppy out, she couldn't find grass and didn't know what to do.It's 18 degrees this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sylvia, but today (Saturday) it was much warmer in the 60's. Crazy weather!

      Delete
  8. We had snow here in West Central Georgia! So pretty, but I stayed inside except to take my puppy out, she couldn't find grass and didn't know what to do.It's 18 degrees this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That redbird in the snow does give a lift for sure ! I'm always on the look out for a good movie so I will look for this one. A good laugh is worth it's weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth its weight in gold, that is perfectly true! (The gold lion is shaking his head in agreement, the one on my header just now!)

      Delete
  10. I did see that movie (cleaned up version). I like to watch some mindless comedies to decompress. I like The Middle and Raymond (old reruns) and I can just kind of zone out---Frasier, too!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend- Love your photos! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I are BIG Raymond fans in this house too!
      Thanks, Diana, hope you have a great weekend too. xx

      Delete
  11. I liked this film . I've also seen both Kingsman films with Colin Firth and liked them as well. Have you tried them?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw the first Kingmans film and really thought it was good, I haven't seen the 2nd one yet!!
      xx

      Delete
  12. I do enjoy Miranda Hart very much! A different sort of role for her is the one in Call the Midwife. I heard her character was coming back this season. I'll have to see if that is true. This movie definitely sounds like one I would enjoy. Poor little cardinal! He should come to Ohio. We're having a warmer weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked her in Call The Midwife also!
      Hey! Don't worry about our cardinal too much, it was 64 today!

      Delete
  13. I have not heard of that movie - I'll check it out.

    We were closed on Wednesday, but I slid on in to work yesterday. Today seems perfectly fine, but still snow around the edges of things.

    That cardinal is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was still snow today and it went up to 64, as you well know! (Today is Saturday, the 20th!)
      Aren't we lucky to be able to see the cardinal? When my mother-in-law visited from England and saw one for the first time, she was amazed at this beautiful bird that we saw EVERY DAY!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful red bird against that beautiful white snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see this bird in any weather but there is something about it being against the snow that makes you see why it is used so often for Christmas cards!

      Delete
  15. Did you watch "Spy" on Netflix by any chance.? She is the one who did Viker of Dibley was it? ......I bet it was fun having snow.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janice! No, I watched SPY on FXM. And it was Dawn French who was in Vicar of Dibley but now you are making me wish that Dawn French could be in a film or TV show with Melissa Hart! They would be so funny together.

      Delete
  16. I have not seen the movie but will definitely look it up. I'm with you - I hate when a potentially great movie is ruined for me by the language/sex, etc. Melissa McCarthy IS so funny - I'm watching Gilmore Girls (I'm on Season 3) because for some reason I never watched it and a friend recommended it. It is SO funny and so far, very clean. This is why we plan to move to GA . . . you can handle the 'winter' because it's a blip and then it's back to warm weather haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, you are moving to Georgia! You should let me know, I can climb Stone Mountain with you! (Well, if I don't get too old first, LOL!) Yes, our warm weather is back today, might be freezing and snow next week!
      Glad you understand about the language thing...when our son was younger, we would watch films with him and then, watch the unedited version with him when he was older. Even HE admitted that the bad language wasn't needed!

      Delete
  17. Hi Kay - hope you're feeling better. That lion is great on Eastbourne pier - lovely photo - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hilary! Hope the pier photo didn't make you TOO homesick! :-)
      Thanks for the well wishes, thought I was getting better but...oh well, hope my body sorts itself out soon!

      Delete
  18. I hope that you are feeling better, Kay! It's no fun being under the weather. I did see Spy and laughed so hard during it. We all need something to lift us up. One of my favorite comedies is "Six Days Seven Nights." Every time I see this Harrison Ford and Anne Heche movie, I'm in stitches. Just looking at that cardinal makes me feel cold. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete