Monday, August 4, 2014

Passenger Pigeon "Fold The Flock"




In my last post, I told you about a wonderful TV show about a black rhino.  And then, I showed you a video which had some great photos of the amazing animals in Africa, one of them being the elephant.
Do you know what you get if you cross an elephant with a rhino?  The answer will be at the end of this post!

One of the main points of the rhino documentary that I told you about was that the rhino is an endangered species due to illegal poaching.  Hopefully, if enough people care then this species will not become extinct the way that others have gone before, like the Passenger Pigeon in this country.

The Passenger Pigeon once numbered in the BILLIONS.  Yes, I typed that correctly, billions not millions.  The last Passenger Pigeon, named Martha, died in the Cincinnati Zoo on Sept. 1, 1914.  You may read a good essay about the Passenger Pigeon just here.

The Audubon Society have a program this year to draw attention to the Passenger Pigeon to make people understand the very real possibility of the extinction of animal species.  They have asked for people to make birds from paper and to pose these origami pieces all over the country.  "Fold The Flock", is what they have called this, and they are hoping for one million by September 1, 2014.  It looks as if they might not make the one million, but you might guess that Richard folded a paper in the form of this bird and that we took it with us to one of our favorite places...Arabia Mountain.

HEY! Wouldn't you like to make one of these birds and pose it in a pretty spot like we did?  You can do it! You may download the image and then you too can "Fold The Flock"!  This would be a great thing to do as a family, I should think!  You may find the information about it just here.  Please, let me know if any of you do this, I think it is a great idea.
 


 Here is our Passenger Pigeon posing with the coreopsis on Arabia Mountain.  This is my shadow on the rock and can you see that I have my hand on my hip and that it forms a heart shape? That is perfectly fitting since I love birds so very much.

OKAY....so what do you get when you cross a rhino with an elephant?  ('El IF I KNOW!) HA!
I might have told you this before but I still think it's funny!

20 comments:

  1. The Passenger Pigeion, the Dodo, the Tasmanian Wolf... the list is long, and getting longer all the time. The rise and extinction of species (both plants and animals) has been going on for as long this planet has been habitable, but only since man has taken over and developed firearms has it sped up to the incredibly fast and unhealthy pace of today.
    I like the Audubon Society's campaign. It is a good way of making people think - but, unfortunately, a lot of the time it is just the kind of people whose hearts and minds are already on the right way who participate in such campaigns. Those who don't care will probably not start caring now, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe those who are posing with their paper birds can start a conservation with people who don't know or care about the possibility of the extinction of living things. It might surprise you to know how much talking I can do when it is something that I care about! :-)

      Delete
  2. Oddly enough as I was reading this I was thinking that all the people who are likely to read your blog are likely to be of your way of thinking on theses matters. Like Meike I think that, very unfortunately, it is true that people who don't care now are unlikely to be converted. Not that that should stop people trying. I did smile, though, at the idea of trying to place a paper bird anywhere in the Hebrides (in fact most of Scotland) without placing a rock on top of it to stop it blowing away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Meike . I can tell you that hardly anybody that I know cares about the birds we way that my husband and I do.
      And we were lucky the day that we were on Arabia Mountain, there are lots of times when we would have had to use a rock to anchor the paper bird!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely little bird you all created to tell the story. I loved the pictures showing different sights. A great way to get the news out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard worked at bit on that paper to get it to look like that!
      Arabia Mountain is also a place that could have some positive attention!

      Delete
  4. That is funny! The plight of our endangered species is not, though, and i'm glad you are spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked at my last post, and there was a picture of a rhino and an elephant, I couldn't resist that joke!
      And yes, you are right, the idea of losing a species is something quite serious and I hope that folks will forgive my corny joke when I was talking of this subject.

      Delete
  5. You will get 'the bird' with jokes like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are British, I thought you used two fingers! Oh, you must be turning American! Too much telly, I reckon!
      (And I know you laughed at that joke and most likely telling folks today, come on, ADMIT IT.)

      Delete
  6. I downloaded the origami printout.
    Now I'll have to figure out how to do it. I'm a little clumsy.
    There's a small park nearby called Clearbrook which would make a great location for it.
    ~John M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, John! I will be very pleased to see your photo on your blog!
      Also, Richard said that it WAS a bit tricky to figure out how to do it properly, he watched the video on that site....he said you have to turn the paper over at certain times and that was not apparent in the written instructions.

      Delete
  7. Love your paper bird! I'm not a great paper folder but I might just have to give this a shot! I'll suggest it to some coworkers and see if I can get them to do it too! It's so sad to see how our beautiful world and animals get trashed for money...I've been reading about elephants and how they have such strong emotions and how they get poached for the ivory. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love elephants! I have not told you this but I find them fascinating creatures and to think that they are killed for their ivory, you are right, it is very sad.
      See my reply to John M. above! Would love to know if you were able to get this origami bird made, perhaps your sweet grandkids would enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. I love your creativity with the bird project. I'll have to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all due to the Audubon Society! And to my husband for folding the paper. I do think it is a sweet idea though. Hope you have a go!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally stole that from joke from the Muppets!

      Delete
  10. I'm flat out folding the sheets....particularly fitted ones...I'd hate to see what my end result was if I tried to fold a paper bird...it'd probably end up looking more like a porcupine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me and you both! You might notice that it was my HUSBAND who folded the paper, not me! There must be SOMETHING that I can do better than Richard, but I have not found it yet.

      Delete