Friday, December 14, 2012

"Still Support And Comfort Me"

 

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.


Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.


Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.


Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.


Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.

 
The same man who wrote the words to "Hark The Herald Angels Sing" wrote the words to "Jesu, Lover Of My Soul."...Charles Wesley.   Aled Jones is the singer in the video and this video is one that I have been listening to all week, and today there is a special poignancy to it for me.
 
 "Our hearts are broken"...President Obama.
 
He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds.  Psalm 147:3     Quoted by President Obama in his speech to the country.

                                                                       




 

18 comments:

  1. You're right, this is a very sad day, and it is good to be reminded about the words of these lovely hymns.

    By the way, I love the photo at the top of your column today. Is it the outside of your house? Or just a building nearby? Whatever or wherever it is, it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May we all reach for those comforting Arms, and find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartwarming post, Kay. It is a very sad day. All those people killed, most of them young, innocent children...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful post, Kay. It is a black day in America- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful, kay. thank you. xo
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. A good remeinder on such a sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful hymn with such comforting words. He is the only one we can go to to help us understand and get through such horrendous events. May we echo these words in our heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I have not been watching the news for a few nights in a row, I have no idea what you are all on about, but it sounds like there has been some kind of nation-wide tragedy in the US. Maybe I should take a look at one of the big news websites to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing

    Sad day for US and we have you in our thoughts here in Norway..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this wonderful post. Another sad day in America.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another terrible tragedy for the families and the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always seem to find my comfort in hymns too, Kay. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a sad time for all of humanity. And Kay you have helped to sooth the soul with this wonderful hymn. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful song, singer and scenery! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful voice singing words we need to hear. thank you, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, all of you, for your comments here. I had been listening to this song all week and on Friday...I'm glad you liked this song too. Aled Jones is from Wales and that is the language that you hear in the 2nd verse.
    Carol, the header photo is of the Conyers Depot. It is used now as a Welcome Center, the train goes by the track that you see but it is not a passenger train, so the train no longer stops at this Depot. There are movies filmed here quite often, they will close the streets down and let movie crews go at it. The latest one that will begin filming soon is "The Prisoner" and I think there will be some big stars in it. I always miss any of the filming since I am usually working.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always loved this hymn. Thank you for sharing this beautiful video! It is a balm for aching hearts.

    ReplyDelete